A new year, a new beginning – I hope

2010 was a difficult and emotional year.  I have not got far into my blog to tell you what happened to my autistic son in the last few years - I am trying to present a chronological account of our experience.  This will not only be therapeutic for me but it may just help someone else out there who is going through some of the experiences we went through.  I promise that I will continue with this once normality (well, my version of normality) returns in my household.   What I will say, however, is that 2010 was the year in which my son made huge strides as he recovered sufficiently from severe anxiety/agrophobia to attend a special school.  Now as I look to 2011, I have hope that my son will continue to develop his self-esteem and confidence in a school that ‘understands’ autistic spectrum disorders.  For the first time in years, we are moving in a positive direction with regards our son.  However our positive outlook is rather tainted by an impending fight for my daughters inclusion in mainstream primary.  She is 9 years old and has low auditory and visual processing difficulties as well as social, language and communication difficulties – consequently we are on a waiting list for an assessment for an autistic spectrum disorder.  So it seems that 2011 is likely to be another challenging year!  I’ll keep you posted.

This entry was posted in Autism Spectrum Disorder, School and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A new year, a new beginning – I hope

>Hi Amelia. It is good to hear from other parents in the same position and its good to hear that things get better. All the best for 2011.

2. Amelia says:

>happy new year to you too. I also have an aspie boy in the family (I found you via rachel nixon's blog) and have found each year things get a little better but it can also be very tough. It's great to have met other parents who understand.

Sorry to hear about your asthma experience. My son also has asthma (and lots of other health-related challenges) but I realise more and more it often goes with the territory.

I wish you all the best in 2011 and hope many good things happen too :)

Amelia.x

>Thank you Jen for your good wishes. I know what you mean about the importance of that piece of paper opening up doors. It was quite an amazing experience feeling that I was no longer to blame for my son's behaviour. all the best for 2011.

4. Jen says:

>Waiting for assessments is such a difficult time, all the questions you have and the battles you can't even begin to fight until you have that magic piece of paper that opens all the doors. I hope your daughters assessments comes around quickly and am delighted to hear your son has done so well this year. Wishing you everything good for 2011. Jen

>Hi Fiona. Thanks for your supportive comments. All the best for 2011.

6. Fiona says:

>I hope 2011 isn't too challenging and I am sure that your son's school will be able to provide him with the teaching and understanding he needs. We're lucky J has always attended a fantastic special school. Good luck with your daughter's diagnosis. Fiona xx